Smartphones are one of the most important devices these days. We have a lot of our data stored in these expensive devices. But in recent years, there has been a major growth in the number of mobile theft cases. It is a major concern for anyone who loses their smartphones. Not only they lose their valuable and expensive device, but they also lose some of their important data of which they do not have a backup as well. It creates a panic moment as one also loses their ability to contact or be contacted.
How to track lost Smartphone using IMEI Number?
Although it is really difficult to get the phone back once it’s stolen, but you can track it with the help of its IMEI number. The IMEI or the International Mobile Equipment Identity Number is a unique serial number which can help to trace the ownership of any device. It is printed on the back of the phone and can also be known by dialing *#06# on your device. Now there are many apps which can help you to trace your stolen device. Apps such as ‘Seekdroid’, ’Where’s My Droid’, or ‘Find my Phone’ can trace stolen cell phones. But Google can do the job as well.
Recommended to Read: How to Deactivate or Suspend Your Jio 4G SIM Services Online
Steps to Track Lost Phone Using Google through IMEI Number
Google has a record of IMEI number of devices on its dashboard. This is how it helps the users to access their devices when they are lost or stolen. Tracing your phone through Google is a fairly simple task. Let us look at some of the steps mentioned below to see how one can trace their stolen devices through the IMEI number. Please note that for these steps to be successful, the location as well as data in your phone should be turned on. The steps are as follows –
1. Firstly, make sure that location is turned on. For it, you need to go to Settings, Location and then toggle it to ON position.
2. Secondly, you need to keep the data turned on. For that, you should swipe down on the Home screen. Then tap on the cell provider icon and enable the mobile data.
3. Now visit Google Dashboard. You can go there by just typing ‘Find my Phone Google’ in the search bar of your browser.
4. Log into the Dashboard through your Google Account. After you have logged in, the Dashboard will use your phone’s IMEI number and try to contact it.
5. In a while, you will be able to see a map. Here you will see the location where your phone is currently at. If the data or location gets turned off, then it will show the last pinged position where the mobile was located.
6. Upon locating your phone, you will have multiple options. You call lick your phone, set a message which will be displayed on the home screen, give a ring to your device and even erase all the data on it. You can also wipe the data remotely if you want.
7. In case Google is not able to contact the phone, then it will phone perform the tasks you want as soon as it connects to the device.
The Last Words
So this is a great way to locate your phone through the IMEI number and perform various actions on it. You always have an option to use the apps available for tracking the lost smartphones. If your mobile has not been switched off, you can find your lost mobile easily using the IMEI number.